The Great Move, The Great Cave, and The Great Fall

Part Three: The Great Fall

Today I arrived at work at 4:50 AM to meet Toni in the parking lot. We quickly divided tasks and went to work. We were out in the parking lot by 7:30, which I was told was making excellent time. Today was Toni’s 6th day on the job. She works 6 days a week because the park is short handed and doesn’t really have the funds to get more help. She was to leave at 9 AM, but kept saying she didn’t want to leave me alone there to work until Joni got in. I had to remind her that I was getting paid to be there just like her, so if today was a short day for her – her hard working butt better get home! We knocked out a few more tasks and got a few things done she needed to catch up on done as well. I held down the fort for about an hour and half all by myself. I did a pretty good job. I couldn’t get the bathroom cleaning timing right – I always seemed to get in there just as a tour was about to leave – so the room was packed. I also cleaned the vacuum. Though I found out when Joni got in I had done it incorrectly. I washed it out – but they usually power blow it out. Hmmm wish Toni would have told me that when she asked me to clean the vacuum. So that was the first big oops of the day. Joni and I went around did our thing. I went to lunch and came back and saw Joni and another chic sitting on this wall at the back of VC. I went over and was talking and decided to hop up on the wall. I hopped – and I lost my balance – and I hung off the edge of the wall for a good 30 seconds – then I fell about 4 feet to the ground directly on my back!! I was fine…during the 30 seconds I was hanging there (much like on a monkey bars) I realized that I wasn’t going back the way I came, so I best figure out how to fall and not break my neck or back. I fell down and made sure chin was to my chest and tried to take much of the fall on my forearms as possible. I most likely will be really sore tomorrow, have a good bruise on my back and I have a few scrapes and bruises on my arms. It also knocked the wind out of me, so when Joni came running around the end of the wall to see if I was okay, I couldn’t speak. I was more worried about her than myself – she looked so freakin scared. I got up and brushed myself off. As I was making sure I was okay, I calmed her down. LUCKILY the shift supervisor, the deputy chief and the chief of maintenance are ALL out of the office today. The one thing they told me to do while they were gone was not to get hurt! I was so afraid of calling Chester (shift supervisor) – we didn’t know he was not in the office at the time. I made some jokes like – where is the jar to deposit my dumbass tax in – and people calmed down a little. I even threw in a few “guess I am tougher than humpty dumpty” for good measure. Everyone (rangers etc) in the VC were already whispering about me because they don’t know who I am – now I am that chic from WASO that fell off the wall. We radioed for Harold (the most senior of the maintenance guys) and he took me back to the FM building to fill out an accident report. We snuck it into Chester’s inbox. Tomorrow I am probably in for a good scolding and then constant teasing for the rest of the trip. So that was the great fall and the second oops of the day.

On a lighter less almost paralyzing note, we had the best watermelon this afternoon!!!! One of the bus drivers brought it in on ice. It’s so incredibly hot here – the watermelon was a welcome treat. That’s basically it for my adventures at the VC. I am going to work campground crew tomorrow then I have Saturday and Sunday off. Picking up and hauling brush is going to be WAY fun ;) I am probably going to come in on Saturday and maybe Sunday to help Toni open up the VC. It would make the day so much better for her – and I don’t really a have much to do – and I can go back to sleep when I am done J I will try and write more frequently in here. It just took a few days to figure out what was what. Hope everyone is doing well! Send me some emails!

This concludes the three part blog: The Great Move, The Great Cave and The Great Fall.

Thanks for reading.

Signing off for now – Savor the flavor and drink the blue kool-aide.


Blogger kate-kate said...

OH MY GOODNESS, JAMIE! I'm glad you are okay. What an adventure. I am wishing I could go eat in the Snowball Room with you!

8:02:00 AM  
Blogger JamieMarieBlue said...

I have some wicked nasty bruises, but other than that I am good. I wish you could stop up here too! Tell Margaret HAPPY GRADUATION!

5:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your life could be comparable to an "I Love Lucy" show, except you are not married to a cute cuban.

Crazy to hear about the fall, but I'm glad you are alright. No progress on your room yet - don't know if we will get to it before you come back (James has to move another friend next weekend and my studying is picking up).

Anyway, how are the weekends down there??? Catch you on the flip side!


9:56:00 AM  
Anonymous lousistergaia said...

Guess who is coming to visit?!?!?!?

12:48:00 PM  
Blogger JamieMarieBlue said...

YAY!!! I am sending y'all directions riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight now!

1:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home